In the Summertime when I was growing up we basically lived on garden vegetables and light salads…oh, and popcorn every Friday or Saturday night when we watched baseball on the television. The foods that are available locally during the Summer naturally cool us down, and one of my favorite things to eat in the last few years has been Green Gazpacho, which I would buy from one of my favorite local stores Debra’s Natural Gourmet.
Since I am being extra careful during this pandemic and only eating foods prepared here at home, I have been working on recreating some of my “take out” favorites. Thankfully I had taken a picture of the gazpacho label a few years ago, then I did a Google search for recipes and ended up “winging it” by using my favorite ingredients and what I had in my kitchen. The herbs are really the stars of this show!
Thankfully it came out perfect, so I thought I would share it with you! Feel free to omit or substitute ingredients depending on what you like or your sensitivities. ENJOY!!!
Green Summer Gazpacho Recipe
*All ingredients I used were organic and soaked/washed very well with Vitamin C powder and Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1-2 heads of a “Butter Lettuce” like Boston or Bibb (I used red varieties. You can also use Mesclun greens, etc.)
- 3-4 handfuls of arugula
- 1-2 large cucumbers (skin left on)
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1-2 Handfuls each of flat parsley, basil, cilantro, and dill (I put extra dill because I love it)
- 1-2 tsp. of salt/pepper combo (to taste) – I used 1 1/2 tsp. of Bona Furtuna’s Sicilian Sea Salt and Organic Herb Blend
- About 2 cups of filtered water (more or less to desired consistency…start with less and add as needed)
Throw everything into a high powered blender and blend very well. Serve chilled.